[RC] Was: saddle fit Now: saddle fit fits - Marv Walker

I am using a Ammerman barrel
saddle that seems to fit the Arab gelding
well i.e even sweat patterns,no white hairs, no soreness but the saddle
slides
up his neck? What does this mean? Is the saddle too wide? too long?
Thanks
for the help!!

****Usually**** this is caused by a downhill back.
It becomes more of a problem with a saddle that
doesn't fit correctly.

Even sweat patterns, the absence of white hairs, etc.,
does not mean there is no fit problem.  Soreness can
often be missed because of method of checking may
be wrong and in the wrong places of the back.

Because horses fill more of an emotional purpose than
a functional need their conformations vary all over the
place.  We breed for our emotions rather than maximum
productivity.

Saddle fit is rapidly becoming the most crucial part of
the horse world.  It is an area where few do more than
skim the edges.  It requires a multi-faceted approach
involving horse structure, mechanics, understanding of
static and dynamic balances, materials, kinetic energy
to mention just a few.

This is further compounded by the fact that saddle makers
have no universal standards.  Two "identical" saddles
from the same manufacturer can be dramatically different.

You may find this site of interest if you haven't visited it
before... http://www.kelliesharpe.com/sadlfit.htm

Marv "Before we had Einstein as a reference point we used
a bird known as the Dodo." Walker
Horse Info & Training Videos: http://MarvWalker.com