[RC] saddle fit - Don Huston

Hi RC

I am using a Ammerman barrel saddle that seems to fit the Arab gelding
well
i.e even sweat patterns,no white hairs, no soreness but the saddle slides
up
his neck? What does this mean? Is the saddle too wide? too long? Thanks
for the
help!!

Yes, you are right. Most barrel saddles are made for quarter horses and are a little too wide for most arabs. I have used a back cinch and sometimes a crouper to keep the saddle off the horses neck but it's always better to get a narrower saddle that fits your horse or modify the tree of your existing saddle. One other thing that improved the saddle fit on my arab was switching the rigid cinch to an english-style elastic cinch from Professional Choice. It keeps the cinch tighter without binding up the horse.

Don Huston