Re: [RC] Same sport?~ - Barbara McCrary

I just can't see how any of us in the USA can make a comparison with the kind of race just held in the UAE. It's like trying to decide which is better....apples or avocados.  There IS no comparison, as far as I can see. And most of us in AERC would be hard-pressed to dare riding our horses to the extent in order to finish first on 100 miles of groomed flat track. I'm nowhere near skilled enough to judge how much I could ask of my horse, and completely unwilling to try.

Barbara

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Thursday, January 27, 2005 6:59 PM
Subject: Re: [RC] Same sport?~

In a message dated 1/27/2005 6:35:51 PM Mountain Standard Time, danugna@xxxxxxxxxx writes:
If the "Americans" really want to compete at that type of race, then build a 50 or 60 km flat track on a desert, hire some grooms to condition the horses between flat track endurance races and then turn the horses over to the chosen riders the month or the week before the race and have them go for it.  Just don't use AERC money to do it and leave "to finish is to win" alone.
Well said, Cathy.
Perhaps the USEF should identify endurance riders who weigh no more than (say) 100 pounds and have a modicum of riding ability, who could (without bad conscience) jump off at the vet checks, throw the reins to handlers with sponges, and make their way to the nearest soft drink while the horse tries to catch its breath.
Then, the USEF could hire the best "endurance trainers" available to manage the horses selected as the better to be found in the country.
Then, the USEF could hire (and pay a bunch of money to) a equine guru........NAH, I guess this wouldn't be "endurance", but I do believe what results would be very competitive at the next (so called) World Endurance Championship.
To think that yesterday was the culmination of a "program" set into motion years ago by the UAE and to see the results....I think (perhaps) there is NOT a whole lot of "CELEBRATE, LET'S HAVE A GOOD TIME" going on in Dubai tonight/today.
The USA was represented by horsewomen/a horseman at a "race".  That they didn't "win", or maybe "finish"...it is not a shame...it just is what it is.  It truly is no big deal.
Lighten up folks.  To think that ONLY the first to finish was the "winner" speaks volumes about those who believe that.
NOTE:  If I was ahorse in the mountains and a major storm approacheth, I'd want Crockett Dumas with me, or the Duck, or Dave Rabe, or any of a myriad of endurance riders from America (each region has these types of riders)...I sure wouldn't want a Mercedes Benz filled with lackeys.  Okay, I'd want the Mercedes.
~Frank
  ~Frank
~Frank