Re: [RC] WEC Questions - Dabney Finch

THAT is a terrific question. I'd suspect that most of the participants would say the low completion rate shows how carefully the horses are being looked after; but you're dead right, it could easily be turned around--especially with footage of some poor horse limping off the field.... ironically, the only real way to keep it honestly competitive, but lower the pulls, would be to shorten the mileage. (Probably this reasoning was behind how our current flat track mileage came about.)

UNLESS, of course, we went with my old idea: making the win based on BC instead of first across the line (but not as much fun to watch, huh?)

----- Original Message ----- From: "Ridecamp Guest" <guest-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, January 27, 2005 5:49 PM
Subject: [RC] WEC Questions

Please Reply to: Kim kimfue@xxxxxxxxxxxx or ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx ==========================================

If I read the facts correctly there were around 185 horses that started and only 65 that finished. That means there were 120 DNF. It looks like only a very low number of those were RO. I know the vetting is strict at these events BUT the caliber of horse and rider is supposed to be the best that the world has to offer. Why is the attrition rate on these experienced 100 mile horses and experienced endurance riders so high? This just does not make sense to me. There have been many discussions/comments about the low completion rate at Tevis but I don't believe it has ever been this low and the qualifications for the Tevis for both horse and rider don't even come close to the qualifications that a WEC horse/rider team are required to have. With a completion rate this low does International Endurance consider this event to be a success with so many metabolic and lameness pulls? I also wonder what kind of PR this gives to the sport of endurance when comparing it to other Olympic level equestrian events...does it look good to have a low competion rate because of strict veterinary controls or does it look like around 60% of the field wasn't really prepared to successfully compete at this event?