[RC] Odd horse behavior - Rae Callaway

I'm hoping someone can shed some light on this.  I have a gelding, 10 years old, and every so often (2-3 years) he gets in this snit or something and has to dig.  We're talking 3-4 feet deep holes.  He'll do this in the pen and his stall.  He gets ridden regularly, turned out 20/7 and has a whole herd to hang out with.  He has a bit of a nervous streak - hates to be left behind, but this usually manifests in pacing.  I don't know where the digging comes in, but it is rather funny to see him hanging over the edge, butt high, dirt flying and the other boys standing around watching the show.  I'm worried about the stress on his legs and on his stomach.  He was treated for ulcers last year and has been clear since September.  Any clues?  Suggestions?

Rae
Tall C Arabians - SE Texas