Re: [RC] [RC] Why not more 100's? - Maureen A. Fager

Truman said>"No, it is not the AERC that needs to do anything. It's supply and demand. If you offer a ride and people don't show up - you don't offer it any longer."

I have to disagree with this, there are more reasons than just "supply and demand" that affect this. For example, the Washoe 100 had 40 riders in '02 and 44 riders in '03. This distance was discontinued because for other reasons. With the Red Rock 100 ride, it drew 18 riders on it's first and only run.

Ride managers tend to be human and therefore have other forces at work than just "supply and demand" that affect their ability to put on any ride. For the two rides mentioned above, one is put on by a long time endurance rider who lives and breathes endurance, and the other was put on by a new RM, who had put this ride on with shorter distances for 2 years prior to the year the 100 mile was added. Due to land owner issues (and other issues,) the ride was no longer able to contiune. The point here is that loss of rides can happen to any RM for a variety of reasons.

When I was in Colorado in the mid '90's I saw a group of riders put on rides in Northern Colo. That group evoled into one individual who put on the rides, and even created new rides. Eventually burn out and life situations took their toll and the person stopped putting on rides and eventually left the sport. No one stepped in to take up the RM chore and rides were lost.

Another issue is, new rides come online, but do not offer the 100 mile distance. It's not just that 100's are lost, they are not created in the first place.

The idea that the AERC could encourage and support 100 mile rides fits in with their theme for this years convention, "Ride Managers: Our Heart, Our Pride." and will be putting on a "New Ride Manager Clinic." at the convention. AERC already has helped RMs with their downloadable forms, making insurance more available and other means, so it does not forget the RM's role, and indeed, works to facilitate it.

Perhaps encouraing RM's to take the plunge would be helpful in creating new 100's.

Talking about this issue in this thread seems to have encouraged Terry Banister to give the Mule Team 100 a try. Excellent! Wonderfull things can happen when we talk about them. Good luck Terry! (grumpy horse and all)

Best,
Maureen