[RC] WEC Jan. 26 Lucie's notes # 5 - Lucie Hess

Here's some more interviews I did yesterday.   I interviewed the Malaysian Chef'd equipe, Mr. Mustapha Hassan.  He said the Malaysian team consists of 6 horses.  All of them are ion good health and did well being shipped.  4 of the horses were shipped from France and 2 were shipped from Malaysia.  All of the riders are men, the oldest is 55.  One of the riders is the Ruler of the country,  His Royal Highness Sultan Mizan.  Mr. Hassan, said that he has enjoyed his stay in the UAE and the entire team has been treated well.
I then spoke with the Malaysian Team Vet,  Dr. Balaicrishna Polanaidoo.  I asked him what types of horses they had, he replied that there were 5 Arabs and 1 Anglo Arab.

He stated that the Country has had success in Breeding Flat Track Race horses and are now in the process in breeding successful Endurance horses.

He wanted me to know that the Ruler had to work hard to get his place on the team, it wasn't just handed to him.  He had to qualify as did everyone else. He is pleased the king is now involved as now more people will be interested in Endurance Racing.
We discussed the types of Endurance Rides, that are held in his country.  the 100 mile ride has a 3HOUR HOLD time!   Within the 24 hour time frame!  He says they complete 3 legs, stop for a 3 hour hold then continue on.  I asked if there was any problem with the FEI approving this process, he said not.  (FEI is the organization that makes the rules for the higher level International rides)  He says this helps the horses to handle the high heat and humidity.  He also says they work very hard during a ride to make sure all the riders come in within the allotted 24 hrs.

One final thing he wanted me to know is that his hope would be that Malaysia could hold the 2008 WEC.  I told him, I'd see him there!.

Well, I'd better scoot, time to let someone else use this computer.

Do you Yahoo!?