[RC] WEC:1-25 Lucie's notes - Lucie Hess

When John wrote last he reported that Seph and I were off to a trip to the Royal Stables.  Well, it turned out  instead to be an interesting visit with Sheik Mohammad, his sons and his new wife, Her Royal Highness Princess Haya Bint Al Hussein.

The media all loaded up on a bus to go to the stables,  Steph following along in her car.  We went out the gate then down the road for a little ways then stopped, folks all got off.  I followed wondering why we were getting off on the side of the road.

The bus had  stopped on the side of the road where Sheik Mohammad and the others would be riding by.  When he got to the group he stopped and spoke to the crowd of Media who really crowded into him.  All I can say is, his horse tolerated it very well.  I took lots of photos of he, his sons, and the Princess.  I also spoke with the Princess.  I told her that the American Women were pleased to see the Emirates women competing along side  the men. She smiled and said she was glad to hear that.  She also said she had many friends in the show jumping world and also named Valerie Kanavay as a friend.  I congratulate her on her efforts and wished the team good luck.  She was very gracious in our conversation.  For a few minutes Sheik Mohammad spoke, then, they rode on.  One of the things I remember him saying is that at this time during the race we are all family, with one common interest.

We went down the road and the group rode by again, the press folks got off the bus again for more interviews and photos.  It was interesting watching the photographers and the TV cameras with Interviewers all trying to talk to the Sheik.  Once that was over, we came back to the Media center.
  I'm looking forward to the opening ceremony.  I have made a friend with the young woman who is coordinating the event.. She is really frazzled.  They lost 6 days of work, 4 due to a Religious Holiday and 2 due to rain.  She says they have worked 24 hrs  a day for two days straight.  The place is jumping is all I can say.

Do you Yahoo!?