[RC] WEC: Monday Jan 25 AM. Lucie's notes, I've arrived - Lucie Hess

I have just arrived in the Endurance City.  A wonderful place in the middle of the desert. My arrival at the airport in Dubai was very painless.  I went to the Organizing committee booth, told them I was there for the ride as a journalist and was whisked straight on through passport control.  It was 11:00 at night and the place was packed.  Folks from all over are coming to Dubai for a Month long "Shopping Festival".  Also some people are returning from their pilgrimage to Mecca.  You know you are no longer in the Midwest when you  hit the terminal.  Crowds of all  types of people talking different languages, the smells are different, the airport is gaily decorated.

Men in robes- "dishdaks"  and with colored, checked scarves "kafiyyeh" on their heads.  Many of the women in black robes with full or partial veils.

Many, many family members are waiting outside  the terminal for the arrivals.  It was a phenomenal experience.
 I found the Hotel shuttle driver, he instructed me to go wait in the coffee shop with the other he was to transport to the hotel.  Turns out those other people were Belinda and Matt Frasier, wife and son of Dane Frasier who is involved here in the race as the Foreign Vet Delegate, I believe.  It was fun to see such dear friends so far away from home.

This am I met up with a few of the US team crew for Breakfast.  They say the Horses and riders are all doing well.  Ready for the race.

Today I will go take photos and talk to some of the riders to learn about them and their experiences here.

Do you Yahoo!?