Re: [RC] NO trails in So. Calif - Tiffany D'Virgilio

I'm one of the friends Beth wrote. I felt so blessed to live where I do and I still feel that way, but it is sad to see the devastation that the fire brought and then these rains made good on the promise. With nothing to hold the hills together they just came down. From my place I used to be able to ride to Lytle creek. Last weekend I headed out that way taking a detour around the spot I knew would be gone. What used to be a trail was now a 10 foot cliff with a twisted drainpipe in the center-about 60 feet wide-and not the same one as Beth described, I'm further east a bit.
I made it to my powerline trail and wound up taking 4 hours to go 10 miles. No soil, all rocks (we call them cucamonga potatoes because they are everywhere) and many streams/rivers coming from canyons where no water usually flows. I made it across the first four, some on foot, some on Mosh. When I got out 5 miles there was a river tumbling right out of the mountains at top speed. It raged over the boulders making huge rapids, and was about 5 feet deep. I took a look and no way was I putting my horse in there. I watched it for a bit-amazing and slogged the whole unpleasant way home.
The other way used to lead to Mt. Baldy-I'm a few miles from San Antonio dam where 3 people died last week. Can't get over the flood plain now. So, I am stuck in the middle.
My ridable trails are town trails (I can still get miles in-about a 16 mile loop), and the Pacific Electric trail. It's abandoned and the footing is awful in places but it's a different loop so I have some variation. I'm doing WS on Saturday and am hoping I have gotten enough hills and conditioning in. Here is So Cal it has been very challenging to log miles lately. If you do, it's a boring ride, but better than not riding at all.
I'm hopeful that the bulldozers will start to help us after they finish with all the work they are busy with. And I am sure nature will find a way to repair and us riders will eventually get our trails back, but it's a bummer right now. And it's already poured once tonight and more rain expected until Thursday. I'm dreading stalling my mare this week with WS coming up. Not only is it not good for her, but it also means I will probably have control issues at WS, though she has been doing fine in an S-hack while being attacked by dogs and riding on freeway overpasses and through construction zones. I'm just hoping for the best and expecting to go as slow as need be.
Missing my trails too, Tiffany