Re: [RC] USA Gold Trail Blazer Reflections of Marloffstein part 3 - Tom Sites

We were ecstatic.  The Germans were stunned.  At 50 miles,   Herman said the Germans were falling out like popcorn.  They finished a 2 member team.  It is always the host country's  opportunity to win.  They didn't.

The Italians were unattended en masse.  Something about rules.  They didn't show up.

France won the Individual Gold, but only finished a 2 member team.

Great Britian- the one I'd have picked to win team gold- only finished a 2 member team.

The Spanis blew out- finished 1 0f  5. But watch out-they have a most competitive spirit.  They'll do better next time.

Iran showed up and rode a little bit.

Belgium- what a story for the team silver.  They started only 3 riders and finished 3.  At 4:50 am when their last rider completed, tears of joy and pride were abundant and freely flowing.  I was glad for them.

Austria sent a team and smoked long cigars and did OK.

Portugal sent the highest stepper from the table top dancing party, Idalina Graca, to ride a fine sire to the tune.  "I had to eat her dust."  A small story- at the Fest, bravado had taken hold of me and i told her the next day, "She would eat my dust."  She, never hearing this before before was amused at American slang and countered it with, "Was I who would eat her dust."  Well, I ate HER  dust and was glad it rained a lot so there was more mud than dust.

The Swiss and the Swedes were there as well bringing good horsemen from all of Europe.  They are most serious at this sport.

France, Great Britian and Germany all had the capabilities to outshine the USA, but whether it was riding strategies or just bad luck on their part, we got the team gold and they will have to reflect upon what went wrong.  Next time it may not be the same outcome, as they are all good horsemen and tough competitors.

continued...