[RC] hurricane Rita update and some things to think about in terms of short term survival One million with no electricity - Mary Ann Spencer

I am in WA state temporarily working. My permanent place is in E TX.  I have been able to contact my friend back there.  She has phone but no electricity, and this is the 2-3 day, and the temps are around 100 not counting humidity.  Most go to my part of TX to escape the hurricanes and it was hit hard too.

Gas is not available in many places due to no electricity or sold out.

My daughter's cell phone has dead battery, no way to recharge it.  Regular phones are not working either.  (FYI--I use an inverter in my cig lighter to charge my cell phone, computer, etc. She doesn't have one.)  But then one has to have some gas to keep the car battery up.

Today I have finally been able to see photos.  I may not have much left of my place when I get back and I am 135 miles NORTH of Houston.

Today they are opening the Livingston Dam which will flood houses down stream.  That is to prevent a MAJOR breaking of the dam and a major flooding.

Effects of this will be hitting all of US in the coming months.  It would have been worse if it had hit Houston.

This will impact on ALL aspects of what used to be a normal horse person's life.  Feed will not be trucked in, etc.  Hay crops being destroyed, etc.  AND that is for the area up to 200 miles inland or more.

Trucking will be interrupted going thru interstate 10.  Life will be challenging for a while......................