Re: [RC] tripping horse update - Jo Ann Knight

Wow, I am green eyed, with all that so close to you!  Though there are some
great people around here, a good chiro vet and another that also uses muscle
stem wit acupuncture , that's Dr. Ridgeway, and I haven't connected with any
natural hoof farriers yet but a friend is has and I am going to get the name
number and try her out.

Hope your ride goes well tomorrow.

I just had a success with my 16yr old mare.  she gave me a near 2hr struggle
with getting in, or avoiding getting in the trailer Tuesday.  So I have
worked with her twice a day since.  Used this 1" cotton rope that is
probably near 15 feet in length and a lunging whip.  If she won't go in with
the first request using a normal lead.  I shift to the cotton rope which is
run in the trailer thru the last (3rd) window  and then I hold onto the end
while standing at the back of the trailer.  I then ask her to go in using
the lunging whip VERY gently just laying along her back at the rump and ask
her to trailer up.  she goes in and I pull in the slack on that rope, the if
she tries to go back, the rope holds her at the window, I can pull up slack
pretty fst then the rope basically hangs up on the corner of the window.  I
then move it so it slides easily and ask her to back out.  I also rewarded
her with massage at wither and poll.  That was Tuesday evening late (the 2hr
bit was in the morning.).  Then I did it again Wednesday morning and by
Wednesday evening I only had to ask her to trailer up with the short lead
rope and the whip (gawd that sounds horrid!-but she never has been or is hit
with it).  Oh I also let her have a tad of grain.  Today she walked with me
right into the trailer.  I let her eat her grain and took her out and back
in, letting her eat a bit more.  Then I took her to the barn and let her
finish the grain and gave her hay as well.  Today also I didn't notice any
of the stress behavior, no lip flapping or opening her mouth and basically
grinding her back teeth it looks like almost like she is stretching her jaws
around but it is a grind and a grimmace!  Today she was relaxed.  Oh,
Wednesday evening I sang to her as well, did deep breathing and rubbed her
poll a lot, she loves that.

Since she has to go to boarding while I am having surgery, and the equine
dentist team comes to that barn periodically, I have decided not to trailer
her to the barn only for the dentistry.  I will take her over when I am to
leave her while I am in hospital and they can then do the dentistry.  This
way trailering will be associated with getting to go hang out with other
horses (though I do plan to drive her around a every week between now and
November).  I don't want her to associate the trailer experience with pain.
The last 5 trailer trips were for acupuncture and she hates needles, and
dentistry.  So I am not about to get her to trailer up easily for me just to
take her out and let some one brutalize the inside of her mouth!  Poor baby,
I wouldn't like that.

Do let me know how your ride goes tomorrow.

Jo Ann