Re: [RC] Pull Codes - Truman Prevatt

This issue about pull codes comes up periodically on ridecamp. Your options are one of three:

a) List the pulls with category as currently done,
b) List all entering riders with pull cause listed as DNF,
c) List only finishing riders.

I thought I pretty much covered these options. Either option has it's baggage. In reality there is little difference between a) and b) - excpet who will be unhappy with it. And I doubt very seriously that either will result in this issue going away, namely people will still be unhappy with the pull being listed - even if the reason is DNF. To not list all the entries in a ride and the disposition of all the entries in the results is IMO totally in conflict of "To Finish is To Win."

If the vets do their job and look at all horses and makes a valid determination that a horse has a problem, developing a problem or is fine of the riders that are pulling themselves - then the misuse of the "RO" is not an issue. I don't believe that misuse of "RO" is that big of a problem these days. There may be pockets where it is a problem. There may even be some vets that have a tendency to want to be "liked" and don't do their job. In general it used to be a problem, but I don't believe it is currently. It seems to me that most of this discussion is based on a preceived problem that may or may not exist. That's a pretty flimsy reason to change a rule. Even if there are a few vets or a few rides that abuse the "RO" pull code, fix that problem - don't change the rules.

Truman