[RC] FYI from LSER on Rita & Katrina - Kristen A Fisher

As of Wednesday 9/21/05 at 12:00 LSER/HfH will be suspending the KATRINA SUPPORT. It has been reported that Louisiana has all the items needed.  We extend a sincere thank you to each of you who helped, donated, called and did, in fact, make a difference.

Evacuation for Hurricane Rita

As of Wednesday, September 21st, 2005, LSER/HfH members are working to remove our horses slated to be in the path of hurricane Rita.  The ranch, located in Galveston County, is under a mandatory evacuation order.  40+ horses are being removed and temporarily relocated to the Travis County Expo Center in Austin to wait out the storm.  Additional horses from foster care living in the coastal areas are also due to arrive there over the next few days.

All told, we may have over 100 horses at the Expo Center for several days to a week.  Until we know how properties fare in the storm, we are unsure of any ongoing or long-term needs.

At this time, we need volunteers to help with general horse care duties at the
Travis County Expo Center (http://www.co.travis.tx.us/exposition_center/default.asp).
We are in need of shavings, buckets, mucking equipment and clipboards at this time.
Bags of Purina Senior or Strategy are also most welcome since space was at a premium leaving the ranch and large amounts of feed could not be transferred.

Horse owners still in need of a place to take their equines, should consult the Horse Gazette's listing of emergency holding facilities: http://www.horsegazette.com/emergency.htm

If you need more information, please email info@xxxxxxxx or horses@xxxxxxxx or call our main number at 817-439-0412.

Thank you in advance for any help and we especially thank the kind staff at the Travis County Expo Center for their willingness to help with both hurricane Katrina and Rita.

Sincerely,
The Officers, Staff and Members of LSER/HfH