RE: [RC] Pull Codes - heidi

  You seem to make light that riders should not care that the reason for
their lameness is public record.  Perhaps you are right BUT I really do
believe that one of the reasons that the data is skewed is that riders are
concerned about their horse's permanent record.  Why else would we have RO L
or RO M???  If the data was not published what reason would riders have to
misuse the system??  If the system is not misused it seems it would be easier
to correct pull code errors that vets and RMs make by accident or by
ignorance.  Keep it simple. It was suggested to me that when I see pull code
abuse at a ride that I should contact the ride manager or a director....my
job is not to police my fellow riders and I will not do it.  It will be much
easier for me to discount and ignore any information that is collected that
uses pull code information.

Again, please explain to me how you can "abuse" pull codes?  They are
frequently misused, but I've never seen anyone take a pull code out and
spank it.  If the vets and RMs understand the system, then the pull
codes are accurate at that ride.  If they don't, then the pull codes
are misused.  (Not "abused.")  The riders don't choose their pull
codes--the vets and RMs do.

Indeed, the RO-L and RO-M originated for the reasons you state.  And
while I was originally opposed to them simply because I think it is BS
to whine about what goes on your and your horse's record if it is the
truth, I have revised my opinion of them because they DO give valid
data--L and M situations that are not severe enough to require pulling
the horse, but that would have been listed as L or M pulls under the
old system without any differentiation between L or M pulls that are
more serious.  If you will, the RO-L and RO-M are the beginning of the
rating system that Ed talked about.

But the bottom line is that I've NEVER seen pull codes abused or misused
if the vets and RMs understood them--the problem that has skewed data is
that vets too often don't know and don't care what the pull codes mean.

Heidi