Re: [RC] Pull Codes - Truman Prevatt

If as Dane Frazier says when he talks to the riders, "The last person to finish beats all the people that don't" means anything then it has to show in the results. If "To Finish is to Win" means anything, then all riders in a ride have to be accounted for in the results not just the riders that finish.

In reality listing the riders that don't finish at the end for whatever reason as "DNF" is as much of a scarlet letter as "L", "RO-L", etc. In fact you would be trading in one set of whinners for another. The whinning would now come from the riders that actually pulled as legitimate RO's or those brave folks that struck out on the Tevis and slowed to take care of their horse and crossed the finishe line with a healthy happy horse but just happened to run out of time and had a pull for overtime. Some of them would be whinning that they were being put in the same category as "some idoit that overode their horse and got pulled." This is a no win situtation and the only way to make everyone happy is to go back to not listing pulls in the results and that's not what "To Finish is to Win" is about.

You are going to get whinners either way you go. My perception is this seems to be a bigger issue west of the Mississippi than it does east of the Mississippi. Very few people have ever mentioned this to me back east. However, part of that could be since they may know I would not be too sympathetic to their cause. There are maybe 4000 people that do endurance rides and 6000 AERC members. There is no way you can please them. At least the way I see it in the big scheme of issues this is a pimple on a flea's butt.

I also suspect the people doing the whinning about this would also be whinning about their grades going up on the instructor's door ;-) .

Truman

KimFue@xxxxxxx wrote:

Truman,
Actually one of the directors started the pull code discussion on the AERC list and I believe it was because of inaccurate numbers. Why is the pull code discussion "a pimple on a fleas ass" if the data being collected is skewed? Isnt this data being collected for a reason?? I can't imagine AERC making such a big deal over pull codes if they are not going to use the data for educational purposes, for policy making purposes, etc. It seems that if it is important for AERC to collect this data the least we should be doing is making sure the data being collected is correct.
You seem to make light that riders should not care that the reason for their lameness is public record. Perhaps you are right BUT I really do believe that one of the reasons that the data is skewed is that riders are concerned about their horse's permanent record. Why else would we have RO L or RO M??? If the data was not published what reason would riders have to misuse the system?? If the system is not misused it seems it would be easier to correct pull code errors that vets and RMs make by accident or by ignorance. Keep it simple. It was suggested to me that when I see pull code abuse at a ride that I should contact the ride manager or a director....my job is not to police my fellow riders and I will not do it. It will be much easier for me to discount and ignore any information that is collected that uses pull code information.
So Truman tell me why pull codes should be published. Give me a good reason other then they did it at the academic institution you attended. I know you think that riders should not care that they are part of the public record but give me a good reason why AERC needs to publish them individually.
Really, I am open to changing my mind if someone can give me a good reason why this information needs to be in EN. I just haven't heard a good reason yet.
Kim Fuess
AERC #6648

--

"The opposite of a correct statement is a false statement. The opposite of a profound truth may well be another profound truth." Niels Bohr -- Nobel Laureate, Physics