camp at Cuyamaca State Park.

From: Peggy Martin

At the focus meeting last night we saw the concept plans which we reject.
The campsites would be one on top of the other, smaller than ours, requiring
extensive grading and construction, not be finished until July 2008 on their
timeline with likely delays which are inherent in such a process.  They
never satisfactorily answered our questions about why this process is even
necessary except to say that building the bathroom was "challenged" by a
Native American and a law suit threatened although the bathroom had been
approved through SEQA processes.  They refused to provide the concept maps
and elements before the meeting, putting us at a disadvantage in making
proposals.

We support a plan to eliminate three campsites in the highly sensitive
archeological area, moving the bathroom, keeping the loop and existing
campsites, changing the day use area (hopefully enlarging) location keeping
it adjacent to the camp, adding at least 3 campsites to replace those
removed.

Focus meetings with Native Americans, business and professional, natural
resources, and cultural resources continue this week.  We are hopeful that
our proposal will be presented to the other groups.

Our legislators Representative Duncan Hunter, Senator Ray Haynes,
Assemblyman Jay La Suer, and Assemblyman Dennis Hollingsworth and their
staff has been superb in supporting and representing equestrian interests in
the park.  Please individually thank each one.  If you need addresses,
please let me know.

Also, write Director Ruth Coleman and tell her you support our plans, if you
like them.

Thanks so much for your support of the Los Caballos campsite,
Peggy and Bernie Martin
Cuyamaca Equestrian