[RC] Big South Fork ride story - Ridecamp Guest

Please Reply to: Deb Ambrose mkkgs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx or ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hello to all,
  How can you not fall in love with a ride with rocky climbs,
long descents, twisting single track and open roads, creek
crossings and boulders the size of houses?  Far from the usual
Southeast fare of sandy roads and pine trees (which I have
grown to appreciate), this was complicated and beautiful.
  I rode Saturday (10 September), which by all reports was
easier than Friday.  The first stretch up to an away check was
mostly level, with a great start that had many twisting turns in
a gravel path to keep the horses ahead out of sight.  Lippy had
been so calm at the past couple of starts, I wondered if I
might start with the group.  HA!  From the time I went into his
pen to tack him up, he was prowling like a cat.  He stood still
long enough for me to tighten the girth, and then to slip the
bit in.  He then went to the gate panel in his pen, grabbed it
in his teeth, and yanked up and down.  Gulp.  I led him around
a few minutes, then to the mounting block.  He was on a mission
from the moment my rump was in the saddle.  We rode away from
the start, came back for a pretty animated trot-by for the vets,
and we were off.  The trail helped as we set off into the woods.
If we passed a group, they were back behind us in the curves
before we knew it, and if we came upon someone, Lippy was unable
to get a "radar lock" on them until we were right there.  A
minimum of head tossing, and 14 miles later we were into a
beautiful green vale in the trees for the check.
  After the hold, we trotted back toward camp on a different
trail that included some old rail bed and amazing rock
formations.  It was humbling to imagine settlers living in this
back of beyond 150 years ago, working in mining and for the
railroad.
  Though it was hazy in the morning, the sun burned through
for the 3rd and 4th loop.  I learned something about myself
on this one.  Five miles out of camp, the markers for the
3rd loop ceased to appear.  At an intersection I came upon 3
other riders, maps out, pondering.  We collectively decided that
the trail went straight, where we could see ribbons for loop #4.
This must be it, we said.  To the left was a steep, rocky
downhill with no markings in sight, only a park service
barricade.  Off we set, thinking the 3rd and 4th loops were
running together.  After a fruitless 3.5 mile loop where we
rejoined the original trail, I was ready to return to camp to
throw myself on the mercy of the court.  Along came Skip on his
sweetheart of a mare, Ice Joy.  He was having the same doubts
we had had, but remembered there was a detour around the
barricade.  Voila!  Further down the slope, the appropriate
marker.  Now for my self discovery:
      If the footing had been lousy on the missed turn, I
   would have said, "It CAN'T be this way.  I'm going to
   check out that steep downhill."  But the footing was
   great.  So I said to self, "This MUST be the way."  And
   kept going.  I got greedy with that good footing.

  So off we went, correctly pointed.  This loop contained THE
HILL.  Skip had ridden Friday, so he pointed out the beginnings,
as if seeing the earth slope frighteningly away from Lippy's
front feet wasn't enough.  We all got off to lead, and down we
trekked.  And down some more.  Glad I rode the easy day!  Many
river crossings at the bottom, then the climb.  Lippy was still
all business, wanting to try to hurry up this mountain.  We
wound up and up, a trot and a walk then more trot, when it got
so steep I thought I would tail.  Mind you, I'd never practiced
this at home, and couldn't get my rein detatched, so I left it
to Lippy's good judgement on the speed, and clung to his ample
tail.  My riding companions were provided with an amusing view
of my backside as I wheezed and staggered behind Lip up the last
200 yards.  You would have thought I was making the summit push
on Everest, for all the light headedness and effort to consume
oxygen on my part.
  I got him to stop to climb back on when it leveled out, and
the fool started off in a trot before I could get my foot in the
stirrup.  What was with this?  Back into camp, and then some
shade for our hold.  That Propel went down good.  The last 9
miles seemed like a breeze, since Lippy was familiar with a few
of them due to my missed turn.  I was thrilled to see the finish
line come into view.  Skip was a great partner on those last
loops, the bond he has with his horse is evident.
  As for the chiggers, I'm still scratching.  It was worth the
8 hour drive for us.  I'm originally from the Pacific Northwest,
and still have a yearning for mountains and views.  For years I
poo-pooed the Appalachians (not real mountains like out west!)
That was, of course, before I tried hiking and riding up and
down their slopes.  I still hope to get out West for a multiday
or the "big one" in my lifetime.  But for now, Big South Fork
has quenched my thirst.
  Thanks to great ride management, and my love to Tim and Lara.

Deb Ambrose and Lippy
Aberdeen, NC