[RC] Chondroitin/ Ab strengthening - Bruce Weary DC

Dear Laney--
 There is growing evidence that chondroitin and glucosamine (HCL) are beneficial when used together. There is a key study underway right now that is testing that theory further. The results aren't available yet, but millions of people are taking these substances with only rare and minor side-effects, if any. The results in horses may seem different, but then, horses can't talk and tell us how they're feeling. We can only notice if certain lamenesses improve. It's cheaper than meds, and safer. Additionally, the drug companies aren't fully forthcoming about the side-effects of many NSAIDS. (Ya think?) Most anti-inflammatory drugs actually impair the healing process. I know, that sounds contradictory. They artificially and chemically suppress certain key processes in the inflammation pathways, but they actually make it more difficult for tissue to repair itself. You have all heard the classic example of why you can't use too much cortisone, as it will rot your tissues if used to excess. There is an excellent company called "Pure Encapsulations" who is an industry leader in supplement quality and consistency. Whenever you are purchasing supplements, I advise you to call the company and ask for a copy of their "third party assay." Since supplements aren't regulated, the better companies hire independent firms to "assay" their products for purity and potency. Most companies you contact will tell you they don't have an assay. Move on and use the companies that do. Pure Encapsulations is one of the best. They have a website.
   I guess I'll address exercises here, also, as that comes up a lot. First of all, when you injure your back, it's not a good idea to get busy doing back exercises right away as a method of self-treatment. In my experience, this has become a well-intended but ill-advised approach many patients use to try to "work it out" or simply avoid a visit to a qualified health professional for appropriate treatment. Most injuries to the neck and spine are part mechanical and part soft tissue to varying degrees. They are almost never only one or the other. The soft tissue component(strain or damage to muscles, ligaments, blood vessels, cartilage, nerve endings) are addressed with ice, rest, manual therapy, time and gradually increasing return to activity. If only these components are addressed, the mechanical portion of the injury (jammed joints) will remain and lie dormant, and cause future problems, sometimes with very little provocation. Over 23 years of treating patients, I can tell you that the most acute patients we see--those that can't walk or dress themselves, or have to be carried into the office, have usually hurt themselves from some simple movement. Putting on their socks, reaching for a magazine, lifting a 5 lb bag of groceries out of their trunk, rolling over in bed. It's fairly rare that they hurt themselves by trying to lift 300 lbs, for example. There are reasons for this, and frankly the simple act that causes the onset of their pain isn't really to blame. Most people have long-standing dormant mechanical dysfunction in their joints from living in a harsh environment all their life. Walking on concrete surfaces, sitting at desks throughout their school and working careers, sports, car accidents, computer work, mental stress, deconditioning (only 17% of Americans exercise regularly) etc.,. When they finally hurt themselves with a simple movement, the stage has been set. Exercises are a part of recovery, but should come after treament and when the patient has begun to improve. Flexibility exercises come first, which help restore range of motion and increase local circulation to encourage healing and remove tissue waste products. Most people have enough strength in the "girdle" muscles that wrap around the outer abdomen and lower back. There are tiny little muscles deep in the spine that become sluggish in many people (because we sit so much in our society) and if they don't fire before our larger muscle groups do, we can hurt ourselves with the simplest of movements, as mentioned above. These muscles can be "re-awakened" with certain techniques, one of which is to use an exercise ball. The ball is unstable, and can be used to recruit many of those deeper fibers as the patient tries to perform certain exercises on that unstable ball. It's difficult at first, but gets easier with practice. I have seen people who can stand on a ball and swing a golf club without falling off! A good personal trainer can teach you these exercises, but again, after your problem has been treated. Exercises are not treatment in and of themselves.
  Ab exercises are often done incorrectly, and again, a personal trainer can properly instruct you. Lots of people do ab exercises, I think for two main reasons:1) They see their abs every day in the mirror and want a six-pack, and 2) They think it will help their back.  Ab work is part of strengthening the back but not the whole enchilada. And, if done incorrectly, can actually aggravate certain back problems. Get with someone who knows what their doing and get some instruction. The exercises should be painless if done right. Incidently, you'll have to do aerobic exercise to burn off the fat and reveal your abs. You won't see them only by doing crunches.
  Laney, the SI joint has no muscles that move it, so it can't really be stabilized with exercises. I know that sounds odd, but it's true. It would take an extreme injury to cause the joint to be "unstable" so I'm wondering if the problem is something other than that diagnosis implies. Can you tell me a little more about it?    Bruce