Re: [RC] Back Pain - Linda Nichols

Title: Re: [RC]   Back Pain
Hi Bruce, you are going to get a lot of people asking you for advice. I’m willing to post my problems and discussions on RideCamp.

I have fibromyalgia and ankylosing spondylitus. For a few years now I have been pain free. But in the past I have had debilitating pain, mostly in my hips. I got so I couldn’t walk even a mile without excrutiating pain in my hips. I have also had sciatica to the extent that the nerves in my legs caused my legs to jump. OK, so a few years ago, I finally got my depression under control and at the same time the pain in my back and the fibromyalgia went away. I think it had to do with my mental outlook improving.

Well, this past year I have been conditioning to do endurance. I have even done two LD rides. Well, unfortunately, my back is beginning to bother me again. Most notably, my hips burn and it is again difficult to ride for hours in the car, as I found out this weekend. Years ago this was a problem but it had gone away. I really want to do endurance and I don’t want to have to take meds again. I’ve managed to stay off the meds, all but Flexeril, which keeps the fibro at bay and comes in handy after a ride. I don’t want to have to rely on Naproxen again as it burns my stomach and believe it or not, I think it actually causes pain in my back. But I don’t know what to do, since I am sitting here feeling the burning in my pelvis and knowing that going to bed at night will be difficult.

Linda