Re: [RC] [RC] California Recreational Trails Committee - Sky Ranch

Title: Re: [RC] ??[RC] California Recreational Trails Committee
Can't imagine why you would be kicked off the list, Linda, just because you're whining - <g>

However, in response to your post -- bicycles (and ATV's) do not have minds of their own - and of course horses DO.

My horse is very used to both hikers (with the huge backpacks) and also dogs, bicycles and ATV's; even hot air balloons.  Even horses coming up behind him on a trail at a gallop (that's another story).  But here's a consideration -- a bicycle rider with his head down (as most of the mountain bikers do when they ride), and not watching ahead on the trail, can very easily run into a horse coming around a *corner* on a narrow trail.  Think about that.

I am totally responsible for my horse's behavior, and he is well conditioned to all kinds of trails, and trail obstacles.  But a bicycle coming around a curve on a narrow trail at speed -- who's responsible there?  In my opinion, the bicycle rider.  (Haven't met any hikers that run down the trail fast enough to surprise me...)  Who's going to get hurt?  Probably everyone!  If a bicycle hits a horse, the rider and horse are very vulnerable, not just the bike rider (and his bike).

BTW, my own experiences with hikers, ATVer's and bike riders around here has been outstanding - - all have been extremely courteous and go out of their way (literally) even as I am telling them 'it's ok, my horse is used to bikes, atv's ...(whatever), and to come ahead.  They get off the trail and wait for me anyway, and I always make a point to thank them and even stop and talk for a while.  At least in our corner of the world, I've never met anyone on the trail that didn't like my horse, and wanted to pet him as we talked.

Bottom line is - everyone needs to keep a heads up attitude on the trail, right?  Hikers, bikers, hunters, horseback riders... we're all responsible for ourselves out there.  Gosh - share the trail! a concept I believe in.  The way to preserve our trails is to use publicity, and group power.  Contact your local newspaper and radio stations, let people know that there's a danger of losing access to trails.  Join AERC, NATRC, and Backcountry Horsemen of America, any horse group -- ALL of us should be working together to save access for equestrian use.  JMHO.

Education is the most powerful tool we have, along with communication.

Carla Richardson
Cortez, Colorado