RE: FW: [RC] white line - Jim Holland

One other thing about White Line Disease.  One of the reasons that “packing” it doesn’t solve the problem is that the disease is actually “eating” the white line….the boundary area between the hoof wall and the laminae.  The powdery residue you see is not actually the organism, it’s the “sawdust” left over from it “gnawing” on the white line.  It provides a very effective barrier between the organism and the medication.  The medication can’t “run down” into the organism, since the infection is ABOVE the packing. Sometimes in advanced cases, you can tap on the hoof wall above the infected area and it will sound “hollow”.  This is an indication of how far up into the hoof wall it has reached.

And yes, just like “rain rot”, it shows up for no logical reason.  Also like rain rot, it’s my understanding that the organisms that form the symbiotic relationship to cause the problem are “naturally” there in the foot anyway. “Painting” the foot with merthiolate when the horse is shod seems to act as a preventative because it breaks up the ability of the causal organisms to form the symbiotic relationship.

Jim, Sun of Dimanche+, and Mahada Magic

Richard T. "Jim" Holland

Three Creeks Farm

175 Hells Hollow Drive