Re: [RC] ride fees and costs - Susan, Princess of Pink

WOW Paddi!!!  Cooks? gopher? lunch makers?  WOW!!  And you want to DOWNSIZE to "ONLY" TWELVE (count 'em...12) volunteers?  I'm lucky to have 4 volunteers!

With AERC you have to have some kind of completion award.  A certificate will work.  If you don't want to award anything else, then don't (as far as buy awards goes).  Make that clear in your flyer but be positive about it.

BARE BONES ride is a fund raiser for trail support and maintance in Alberta.  Completion awards will go to all riders successfully completing the trail on a fit-to-continue equine.  In lue of placing awards, a money donation in the name of the finishers will be made to the trail support and maintance fund in Alberta.

Then you could describe the trail a little, name the vets, note that only horse water will be available and that camping is primative.  I don't know what your riders are used to but here (Central Region of AERC), unless the flyer says a meal is provided, we know a meal IS NOT provided.  Usually, a meal does not come with the ride.

You're spot on telling what you WILL provide.  That's a positive way to have your flyer.  Always stay positive!  If riders want points and miles, they'll come.  If riders want to help the trails in Alberta, they'll come.  I've never NOT gone to a ride because I didn't like the awards.  So, if I were close to you, I'd go to your ride.

Good luck!!

Susan [Young], The Princess of Pink
Semper Obliquo (Always aside)

Glenndale Grace Farm, Ft Gibson, Oklahoma U.S.A.

"Ride on! Rough-shod if need be, smooth-shod if that will do, but ride on! Ride on over all obstacles, and win the race!" - Charles Dickens (1812-1870)