[RC] Liability and neighborhood lessons - Carol Suggs

I am getting in on this post late...was horse camping at Montana D'Oro near Moro Bay this last week...awesome time!!!  Great weather, great trails.  Weather was perfect, hardly any fog on the coast which was unusual for this time of year.

Anyway... don't leave this stuff to chance.  Please check with an attorney and your insurance company regarding liability when giving lessons or having folks ride on your property or if you are boarding horses.

We have a cattle ranch and beleive it or not when we were getting ranch liability insurance there was a couple of companies out there that would not insure us if we used horses on our ranch...sounds odd doesn't it?!

The policy that we currently has covers basic liability, however it does not cover liability for us if someone is here getting lessons or boarding their horse.   (BTW we have State Farm).  That is a different type of policy.  The horse business policies are expensive and sometime have exclusions to what they will cover.

Most homeowners policies do not cover horse back riding or horse related accidents and specifically if you are making money off someone (IE lessons, boarding ect) I don't beleive that your homeowners policy will cover liability in those instances.  You need to have a specific liability policy for horse business.

We do not do lessons here or board, but we often do have folks come and ride and we have a liability release (basically a hold harmless) that we ask people to sign.  They say that a lot of times these things won't really hold up in court, but I'd rather have one than not to have one.

Carol-Mariposa, CA