Re: [RC] build our sport - SandyDSA

My experience has been - with older horses, green horses etc., that more and more LD riders are not necessarily beginners, but either returning to the sport - or ANY sport - after a lifetime of raising kids or working 60 hours  a week. They don't all need TLC - some need a heck of a lot more than that :) but most do not. In addition, in the past 13 years, I have found it usual to be set aside in favor of the longer distance riders, and indeed have been TOLD that this is because they are going twice the distance and therefore are most important. Generally this is true - not always - but certainly indicates a higher level of importance put on the horses going the longer distances. In the main, over the years, outside of the group who seem to be kamikazi riders no matter the distance, more and more LDers are most competent (whether they choose to be dolts or not is another matter) and don't take more time from the vet staff. One rider years ago actually sent the vets home at 5 to save $$. hmmm. This was second hand - but indeed, there was not a vet on the place for dinner...