[RC] [RC] poison oak prevention - Sherman

If you have a household of kids & hubby that are a bit careless of what they trim and where they walk on the trails, buy mechanics soap, GOOP,  at your friendly auto parts store. GOOP  removes the oils as effectively as the more expensive products so can be used liberally without breaking the bank. Rub it all over before turning the water on, rub down for 5 minutes, then rinse with tepid water. Start using as soon as possible after being exposed.

I also useGOOP to wash the clothes that are probably covered with the oils. BTW, it's not scratching that spreads the rash, but the oil being transferred around. That's why a shower after being exposed will spread it, unless you use a degreaser. Even DAWN dish detergent will work if you have nothing else available. The suds are a bit much to deal with though.

Kathy
Grass Valley, CA

 Lucy Chaplin Trumbull wrote:

Also worth mentioning as a preventive - use Technu
to clean your skin after possible contact.

And we use Fels-Naptha to wash any possibly infected
clothing (that comes off and goes straight in the
laundry as we come in the back door).