Re: [RC] poison oak - Chris Paus

Did you all know that near almost every toxic plant, it's antidote is growing?? Yup. If you study plants and herbology enough, you'll find out. When I lived in Wisconsin, jewellweed usually could be found within 50 to 100 feet of a poison ivy patch. Jewell weed was the best I've found. I'm terribly allergic to poison ivy, oak and sumac. My husband would bring me home bunches of jewell weed. I'd put the leaves and stalks in the blender and whir up my own anti-itch potion.

Who ever said get some cortisone shots or pills from the doctor is right. That's the fastest way to knock it out of your system.

JEWEL WEED

(First Appeared in The Mountain Laurel, September, 1983 issue.)

This is a weed/wild flower that grows in abundance along road banks and just about everywhere else in the mountains. Wherever you find them growing, there will be a thicket of them, taller than your knees. The plant is a succulent annual ands dies back immediately at the slightest fall frost.

In the summer, they are covered with beautiful blooms. There are two varieties; one that blooms yellow and one that blooms bright orange. Both varieties have pods which when mature burst suddenly upon being touched, hence the common name of "Touch Me Not."

The blooms resemble snapdragons but are suspended from the plant on delicate little thread-like supports.

Being beautiful isn't all there is to the Jewel Weed. If you have ever accidentally brushed against the Stinging Nettle Plant, you know the results. Immediately the spot will start itching and burning and may even blister if you are particularly sensitive. Curiously, as if Mother Nature planned it, Jewel Weed usually grows near Stinging Nettles and it said if you immediately rub the foliage of the Jewel Weed on the spot, the itching and stinging will go away. The American Indians also used it as a cure for poison oak by squeezing the juice from the Jewel Weed on the affected area. As far as I know, it has never been dried or used for other purposes.

While it can be a pesky plant in your garden, you still have to admire its beauty in the wild.

chris

Jo Ann Knight <jknight61@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Nancy

I don't know about once it sets in and spreads, but I got it and quickly
knew what happened and there was a creek, so i immediately washed my hands
and forearms with sand in the creek. I an terribly allergic to the stuff and
had suffered a horrid case years earlier. So that may be a preventative, but
don't know if it would help at this stage, maybe would depend of if you have
avoided scratching (which causes it to spread). So if it is very localized
yet! hm, I'd go to the doctor in your case.

Jo Ann