Re: [RC] RE:[liability and neighborhood kids?] - Truman Prevatt

Sandra Walker wrote:

Could be Truman. I don’t know what the rules are as to whether State Farm can only do this in one state and not others and whether they are just cutting professionals, though it’s really easy to muddy the distinction between amateur and pro.

For the most part insurance companies are regulated at the state level. I know the insurance commissioner in FL is very aggressive with the regulation of insurance companies. After Andrew hit, a bunch including State Farm wanted to pull out of FL for all homeowners insurance. They were told fine - go but you will not be allowed to write auto insurance if you don't write homeowners. They decided to stay in the homeowners business but they won't write policies for "at risk" properties, i.e. waterfront properity. They also demanded (and got) much more stringent building codes.

I know our rates went up after the major storms we had last year, but our rates won't be affected much if at all by Katrina since there was not a lot of damage in FL. Where I live I have to pay an extra premium for "sink hole" protection, but my rates for hurricane protection is lower because my area historically doesn't get hit and I'm pretty far from the coast. The place to start may be your state insurance commissioner.

Truman

--

"The opposite of a correct statement is a false statement. The opposite of a profound truth may well be another profound truth." Niels Bohr -- Nobel Laureate, Physics