RE: [RC] [RC-Digest] Vol: 03.2994 - Steph Teeter

>>Yep that's a great idea...spend more money on a professional .  I can't imagine why we didn't think of that... >>

A professional at the $$ helm probably wouldn't have allowed the corporation to go from desparately negative, to rolling in dough, to back in the red in the course of an 8 year period.  This is a half-million dollar business - it's ridiculous to leave financial management to part-time volunteers. We need more accountability and focus. The amount of money saved over the past several years would have easily paid for somebody who could see the problems coming before they became crisis.

 >> We did do a roll call vote and you are gonna choke when you see whose side you are on here... >>

I've seen the vote and almost all the ride managers voted against the fee increase. Not a great surprise.

 >> All committees took big reductions and the grants spending is suspended until and If we get back to a positive budget. >>

Excellent, but it would have been even more excellent if the Board had been more cautious when it finally got out of the hole.

 >> This has all been discussed on the AERC members forum ...nothing hidden even tho you like to tell Ridecamp what a secret bunch we are >>

There are around 500 subscribers on the members forum. (one tenth of the membership) I don't recall anybody announcing that the Board was going to vote on increasing rider fees, much less in a closed phone conference call. If there is truly nothing to hide on the Board email list then why is there such strong objection by the Board members to allowing membership see what is being discussed? When I was on the Board I recommended publishing an archive of the discussions (at the very least) on the AERC site. And yes, as long as you keep these discussions to yourselves, you are a secret bunch.   Susan I was on this list for 6 years, I started the list - I know how it works - there are definitely benefits to discussing issues between convened meetings, there are also abuses, and there is also the unforseen affect of insulating yourselves from the membership. Before the list, discussions happened between individuals via phone, or they happened in Board meetings where minutes were kept and members could watch and listen. The convention BoD meetings used to be packed with observers, and full of lively discussions. Now they are little more than rote voting on issues that the Board has already thought about, discussed, and pretty much decided on before they even get to the meetings.

 >> The motions, discussions and votes will be in the minutes.  I think a prudent person would read what happened first but I haven't seen a lot of prudence on Ridecamp in a long time. >>

The motions, discussions and votes are already floating around the internet. Prudence, Charity and Virtue unsubscribed from Ridecamp a long time ago. (I think Tivers chased them out).

 >> My opinion only of course.

Susan  >>

and mine,

Steph