Re: [RC] One more giant step - Lani M Olson

Jen, give yourself a big pat on the back. Fear comes to a lot of us. After being thrown and injuring my back I couldn't ride for a year - fear was well entrenched. Found a positively quiet horse and walked and trotted only for two years with a good friend. I have to second Chris' recommendation on singing and breathing. Had my husband drop me and horse off 9 miles from home, all alone. Old fear resurfaced, especially because the mare was picking up on my nervousness. Then I remembered singing (and thank God ONLY my horse could hear me!) But my horse visibly relaxed, and I became more confident. Like Chris said, if you're holding your breath in fear your whole body is tense and the horse feels it. Just keep at it, a little ride at a time, as you are comfortable with. Good luck and keep us posted on your progress.
Lani in South Dakota