Re: [RC] fear/riding trails - Stacy Sadar

Hi Jen,

Excellent that you rode alone!  I've been riding for over 30 years and I still get scared and for what reason...who knows.  Sometimes I just can't shake it.  Just ask my friend Deb when I had to borrow a shot (a very big shot) of vodka to calm my nerves (at 9am) before taking my
young one out on trail with other horses!  Wow was I totally freaked and just could calm down.  The last thing I wanted was for him to feel my fear.  Breathing slowly, yoga or whatever...nothing worked EXCEPT that nice shot of vodka!  I got to tell you...I'm not sure how many others on Ridecamp will admit to it, but a good shot goes a long way at calming the nerves. <grin>  Hey...even the first time I took him out on trail, I was getting ready to mount and realized how nervous I was and thought "this isn't good".  I tied him up, ran across the street to my house, downed a big shot of vodka, went back and had a great first ride on
trail!

Like Lysane, my young horse is experiencing everything for the first time.  My fear is wondering "how" he will react to things.  The best thing that happened out on trail one of the first times was for him to actually get scared.  I needed to see and feel what he would do.  Thank goodness, he only stopped and shuttered in place...!  No bolting, spinning or anything else.  I'm still very nervous on him because everything is new to him.  Problem is that I'm always fighting the fear.  My vet laughed at my last week when I told him the story of drinking the shot...he said, "you act like you just started riding yesterday!"  I know.  Personally, I think it has alot to do with getting older...and wiser.  We know just how hurt we could end up and that is always in the back of your (my) head.

So my suggestions to deal with fear and calm your nerves in order to go on trail by yourself are as follows:
1.  A shot (or 2) of vodka...by far my best solution!
2. Go on trail with other people/horses.  But, walk away and go by yourself for a while then come back to them.  It will ease your fears if you know you'll be able to be with other people and horses and you are not totally alone.
3. Just hand walk your horse on trail.  Walking along with a lead rope will expose the horse to the trails without you fearing what could happen if you were riding.
4. Ride your horse at a Walk...just walk on trail until you feel comfortable to go to the next step.  Control will ease your fear too.

Good luck!  I think I'll go do a shot, put my helmet on, and take my young boy out! LOL
Stacy