Re: [RC] fear/riding trails - Lysane Cree

Hi Jen,

That is fantastic that you were able to ride alone and 20 minutes is great - in time you'll be going an hour and more.

Personally, my fear came from a riding accident. Its also a fear of something happening that is beyong my control. I've ridden some nutty horses in the past, but I was always in control of the situation. Even if something happened and I got hurt, I never really felt scared when I returned to riding. But this time, everything happened so quickly, I didn't even have time to react. Being a long time rider did not make one bit of difference.
I am also riding a young horse who is experiencing many things for the first time. She is the only horse I have and the only one I have some confidence in, so I am taking small steps for her benefit as well. Sometimes I worry that she is going to turn into a bucking bronco or runaway with me...all things I experienced with other horses that people claimed were "good". Although she has personally never given me a reason to think this. And she is actually super good for such a young horse, she is very curious and likes to check things out rather than run away (yes, I am a proud mom).
Fear is a strange thing that can seem irrational and "silly" (I know I feel silly or embarrased sometimes), or take a long time to "get over", but that is the way it is and it really is *time* that is the key - doing as much as you can handle at any given time without going overboard. Take small steps at a time and be happy (as you are) with the small goals you can accompish when you go out and ride. Don't let anyone push you or rush if you feel uncomfortable with something.
When I first got back to riding, I was just riding in a round pen and just getting back on my horse was a big step. Then I rode in a fenced pasture, later in an open area and eventually on the trail. I am still not going out that far and I am going at just a walk, but I am working on that.
One thing that someone told me when I was worrying about being scared to canter - "Why do you have to rush to canter? If a slow trot is the fastest you can go, be happy with that. At least you are back on a horse, when some people might not have even got back on a horse. Your horse will always know how to canter. And when you're ready you can canter." Seems obvious, but sometimes you need to hear it.
Going out on the trail with a buddy can help alot, as long as they are willing to do no more than you are comfortable with. All of these little steps also help develop confidence in your horse - which is a big plus to helping alleviate your fear. You have to be able to trust the horse you are on.

I still get scared when new things come up (like an ATV on the trail) because I know I am on a young horse who could be frightened. But I really try to be proactive - last week, I heard an ATV coming (the first one my horse would be meeting on the trail and it was coming up from behind, on a curve), so I hopped off and waited for the bike to come into view. My horse was actually fine with it, although a little surprised. I was probably more worried than her! LOL :)
I feel it is important to always end on a good note, for both my horse's training and myself. Some days I think that I will never be able to go to a competition because I'll be too scared and worried about something happening (I got hurt during a competition). But that too, I will take in small steps and be happy with whatever I can do, a little at a time. If you think too much ahead, it can get overwhelming and feel like you will never get there.

So I wish you luck and can say that the best remedy is time and taking small steps each day. You'll get there.

Lysane