Re: [RC] Thin saddle pads/blankets - MtnRondi

In a message dated 9/9/2005 3:44:48 PM Pacific Standard Time, guest-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
I've switched
to a Western wool felt "underpad" as my sole pad.  They
are about 1/4" - 3/8" thick, real cheap ($10-15),
Be careful with these pads. The cheap ones are usually not 100% wool felt and there are a lot of synthetic fibers in the pad. They can build up a lot of heat on some horses. I would sandwich it between a Navajo pad.

I had a felt pad (don't remember if it was 100% wool or not). It was custom cut to an endurance saddle I had and I used it a lot and did Tevis with it. The horse did fine. Then I used it on my other horse once. I was out pleasure riding all day, and the heat built up and her back blistered and peeled in the shape of the pad. She was laid up for a while.