[RC] Ride Costs - Ridecamp Guest

Please Reply to: DeAnne Knapp jdknapp@xxxxxxxxx or ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

I've been a ride manager, along with another friend, for several years and we
have never made a profit.  As a matter of fact, even with a good turnout of
over 50 riders this year, we ended up about $500 in the hole.  Besides the
"regular" fees for AERC and UMECRA, we have to pay the Forest Service, a guy to
deliver water, an extra garbage dumpster, a land owner (to cross his land),
trail marking supplies, and 3 vets because there is an out vet check.  One vet
is from out of state so her mileage is also included with her fee.

We beg and plead with businesses, local and national, to donate money and
prizes.  In addition to the few donations, we have to buy some awards, water
and food for the volunteers, as well as spaghetti for the award's potluck
dinner. We wanted to donate "extra" money to the local 4-H Junior Leaders, who
helped make sandwiches and gave out water and soft drinks, but there just is
not any extra money.

We also beg and plead for volunteers!  They get burned out just like ride
managers!

Our fees are in line with our area, $25 to $65, and I don't think we could
charge more and still get riders.  We could save some money by cutting down on
awards, but would this deter riders from coming?  And we can only cut down on
so much.

After being a ride manager, I'll never complain about rider fees at other
rides.  I'll also never complain about the "conditions", the volunteers, the
vets or anything else at rides.  Putting on a ride is hard work that starts in
about October or November for our August ride.

I would suggest that everyone either help put on a ride or volunteer at rides
to get a clearer idea of what is involved.

DeAnne Knapp
Long X Endurance Ride
North Dakota