[RC] Memories like elephants - victoria thompson

So, nine years ago this month I bought Taffy. She wasn't what I had in mind, but she was too good looking to pass up.

The first Spring I had her the gardeners went berserk around the barn with their weed eaters and all the horses came down with runny eyes from all the dust and debris they threw up. Taffy's case was exceptionally severe. Her eyes were swollen shut. The vet gave a look and gave me some ointment to put in them.

I was very impressed by Taffy's disposition when putting the ointment in her eyes. I had to put the halter on her, but she never did anything more than raise her head a little. So, one evening before I fed, I put Taffy's halter on her and proceeded to administer the ointment. She was out in her paddock near her fence and I was standing in a slight depression, so when she raised her head I had to do some major reaching to get to her eyes. I had one forearm under the halter on her cheek with the ointment poised to squeeze into her eye. The other had was over her face holding her eye lids apart. I shifted a little, raised my arms just slightly and nailed the hot wire with my elbow. That shock went through both my arms and into her eye. I don't know which one of us grunted louder, they were both at the same time. She jerked out of my arms and high tailed it into her stall. I lugged a couple of dead arms in after her. To make a long story short, let's just say she wasn't real keen on my messing with her eyes, but she soon forgave me and I've never had to medicate her eyes again.

Today when I went to the barn I noticed a big eye goober and tried to wipe it away. She raised her head and backed away from me. I put her halter on her and tried to wipe away the goober again. She raised her head and backed away again. I told her to quit being a pill and let me wipe away the gunk. She turned her head and stuck her nose very near the hot wire and snorted. I led her out of her paddock and she let me wipe her eye without any problems.

Taffy's moved to new homes twice since that first Spring. You'd think by now she'd at least give me the benefit of the doubt when messing with her eyes, but noooo. There is no forgive and forget with this girl. It's like when your husband reminds you of the time you flirted with his best friend, but that was 25 years ago and the two of you weren't married yet.

She's got a memory like an elephant ... but I think I'll keep her.

Tori

PS. For those of you that know Lynne Glazer, Twix II The Revenge is on board and due in May/June 2006 (but this fellow is mine, not hers).