RE: [RC] A Modern Endurance Test (in 1932)-- 1910 - Libby & Quentin Llop DVM

On June 15th 1910, one of our local ladies, Martha Blow Wadsworth, rode 213.6 miles  in a ride time of 15 hours 7 minutes to settle a bet with army officers. She did 4 circuits of a roughly 50 mile course and used multiple horses and I believe she rode aside. Libby
-----Original Message-----
From: ridecamp-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:ridecamp-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of Tom Sites
Sent: Thursday, September 08, 2005 1:52 PM
To: ridecamp
Subject: [RC] A Modern Endurance Test (in 1932)

Endurance was different then.  There was the record Tevis sought to beat when at the time the indoor record was 130 miles in 12 hours.  Hal Roach who prompted the bet to Tevis said he couldn't  better his past exploit of ..."The ride some years ago when Tevis's ride from the Nevada border to the Tanforan Race Course in California (San Mateo County Fairgrounds); nine Army Officers, relieving each other with relays of horses, competed aganist him in that grueling test!"  (No results of distance or time in this report) but it seems Mr. Tevis beat the US Army.

Anyone who can sit and be enthralled to watch a bunch of loud cars race around a circular track, should ponder that some may find a Horse Express equally satisfying.

What and how Mr. Tevis did what he did will always amaze me, and his exploits and legacy need to be preserved, and i'm so glad the Tevis Newsletter found the article for this preservation. Maybe someone can print up the article for RC members to read that haven't seen the entire article.  His other exploits need preserving as well.

To those that think a circular track is boring or not very 'crowd-pleasing'  should try it some time and be serious to go about it in a way to have adventure and see just how far they can go.

Mr. Tevis was a very remarkable Horseman.

Cheers, ts