Re: [RC] going crewless - Zephyr Arabians

Please Reply to: Diane Day  fourdays@xxxxxxxx or
ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Does anyone want to talk about going crewless to a
50 mile ride - someone else recently mentioned they
were going to have to go solo. I might have to go it
alone at the Okmulgee, OK ride.  Any suggestions on
how/what to prepare ahead of time?  I am assuming
there would be 3 holds to be having feed ready for
and food and drink for me.  Anything else to
thinkabout/plan for?  Should I bring a wheelbarrow
to cart it all around in?

Hi Diane,

I have never had a crew on a 50 mile ride.  In fact,
the only time I've had a crew was one of my first LD
rides and it was almost more work teaching my husband
what to do than just doing it myself. ;)

Really, there's nothing complicated or scary about
riding crewless.  Anything that your crew would have
taken to the holds for you just needs to be packaged
up -- in big plastic tubs or 5 gallon buckets with
lids or duffle bags, whatever works for you -- and put
in the pile(s) that management will designate the
night before as going to each hold.  In my case all I
really send is feed for the horse, a sheet if the
horse isn't already carrying a rump rug or if tack
needs to be pulled, frozen waterbottles to replace any
I've emptied, and my lunch to the lunch hold.  That's
all there is to it.  When you get to the hold you'll
just have to find your stuff, some rides will have it
all in one pile at the hold, some rides will have
distributed it around a bit for you in advance.

The biggest deal for me is generally getting someone
to hold my horse while I run to the potty.  And with
my one mare I don't really even need to do that and
have been known to just "ground tie" her since she's
not leaving the food until I drag her away. :)

~Nicole

Zephyr Arabians http://www.zephyrarabians.com
KattWmn Web Design http://www.kattwmn.com