[RC] Aussie Saddle opinions - Karen Casemier

I read Libby Llops response to the "new saddle" thread, and thought I'd get more opinions about Aussie saddles. I'm looking for something for my husband. He rides a young 15.3 QH gelding. The horse is generally a good minded horse, but has a pretty hard spook in him. My husband needs something that will keep him IN the saddle, not sitting on the ground next to it. Because the gelding is shortbacked, many western saddles are too long for him. Right now we have him in a Abetta endurance (arabian tree) which fits him well, but doesn't have the "stick" my husband is looking for.

I have heard that Aussie saddles tend to put you in a chair position, which we really want to avoid. While security is a high priority, so is correct position.

The Wintec would be a nice option, but I've had a couple of wintecs on this guy and I just don't like the way they sit on his back. I know Syd Hill saddles have a great rep, but also have a huge price tag. Any recommendations for good quality lower cost brands would also be appreciated. Or specific western saddle options that would work for a wider, shortbacked horse. He's thought about trying team penning or team sorting with this horse, so something that would be comfortable for trail and work for that would be great.

English saddles aren't much of an option - my husband is 6'4" and we have a horrible time finding anything off the rack that can accomodate his leg.

He will not be doing more than 25 mile rides (either CTR or LD).

Thanks!

Karen Casemier
kcrazzmatazz at hotmail dot com