[RC] SE whiteline warning - rides2far

Just got in a new horse yesterday and he had whiteline. I had just been
thinking a week or so ago that the weather is perfect for it right now.
Treated the new one and went to check my barefoot boy. Sure enough, took
a wire brush too the hoof and there were those tell tale little worm
eaten looking black squigly lines getting started. If you hit it at that
point, it's gone almost immediately. Did a tad of hoof knife scraping
then painted it with formaldehyde. Don't expect his to be a problem.

The new horse already has some separation between the wall and sole. I
hit it with formaldehyde, then stretched cotton balls out in strips and
soaked them in iodine, then packed it in the groove to keep pebbles out.
He had seemed lame but once I'd taken the steel brush to the area I'd
found a pebble up in the separation. Got that out, packed it with cotton
and taped him up with duct tape and he's walking well. Really nice horse
and I doubt he's had this over a few weeks. It just seems to hit
everywhere at once when we've had dry weather followed by some rain. Now
I'd better check the neighbor's horses and treat them or they'll all be
leading them down here for me when they're lame and it's a lot more
difficult. They all have their horses for looks and it's aparently my job
to keep them comfortable...since I'm the only one who notices they're
lame, it's my job to prevent it. :-P If you're in my weather area you
might want to check those horses you don't fool with all that much. If
you're not careful the dirt will pack up in the groove and you can't tell
it's there. I recommend a wire brush.

Now a question. I've never shod a horse with separation but have seen a
friend do it and the horse was never off. His farrier cut the outside
wall away and it looked bad though. Would there be a problem with shoeing
the horse and filling the gap with oakum...or padding? I'm thinking one
good set of shoes and this will grow out. There's good connected hoof
wall low enough for the nails, and the wall down low is good, just
separated. Nice thick walls though. The rear hoof has a deep crack right
at the toe that I'm concerned about. I was thinking cut as much of it
open (wedge it out), get the medication inside and put clips on the
shoes. Any suggestions? We're headed into the best riding weather all
year and I'd sure hate to lose 8 weeks if he could be comfortable.

Angie

Angie