[RC] "conditioning" - Ridecamp Guest

Please Reply to: ti tivers@xxxxxxx or ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

So.............after the interval training & the long rides when is enough,
enough?  When do I stop "conditioning" my mare and let her rest? What do people
who ride 50 miles fairly regularly do? I KNOW my mare needs a break as she is
not as excited about going out as she used to ( though has awesome hr's :-))
but I am wondering how long? And for the future, how often should she  have a
big break? At this point we are riding 80 km's ( 50 miles) a week( over 3 or 4
days) - with 3 or 4 days off, then we start again.  We have done lots of CTR'S
and our first 50 in July, we are now looking at doing two more 50's before the
season is over, my gut instinct is to ride her lots this wknd ( being a long
wknd and everything:-))  and then pretty much give her the next two weeks off
before our next 50. Am I  making sense??:-)
Thanks for any and all help!
Chrystal  :-) :-) >

Your gut instinct is off the mark. You're at the beginning of a long
progressively loaded conditioning process. And conditioning of the athlete
never stops. Still, you never upgrade stressors (distance, speed, more complex
terrain, etc.) more than just a little more than the horse accomplished last
week.

A suddenly hard work today, or this weekend,followed by two weeks off, is the
perfect setup for tying up and colic--and poor performance. If your horse shows
ANY signs of exercise intolerance, including what you're observing as "needs a
rest", you're trying to do too much, too soon.

While it appears that you are doing enough work to accommodate a 50
competition, it also appears that this workload is implemented arbitrarily.
Competitions can be integrated into the overall conditioning process, but not
if they require special preparation due to the fact that the horse is already
showing signs of exercise intolerance. Any horse that needs two weeks off
actually needs to start all over again.

On the other hand, it appears that you're not monitoring what you're doing
closely enough to make an intelligent decision about changes in daily workload.
At least, the details of what you are doing and what you are seeing are
completely missing from your post No one can offer useful advice based on the
facts given.

Here are some questions that require answers in order to make such decisions:
What does the horse weigh today and what is its body weight history? What is
the daily feed intake, in lbs and components? How far, how fast, and at what
heartrates is your horse working right now--for example, what exercise has the
horse accomplished, day to day, for the past month? Do you have a training log?
What lameness/medical conditions are being addressed? At what speeds and over
what terrain will the upcoming competitions be taken?

ti