Sent: Saturday, September 03, 2005 9:08 AM
Subject: [RC] News from Louisiana - VERY OT

Juli wrote:I don't understand why people are so angry about the governments rescue efforts, especially when they knew for days that the hurricane was coming.

Okay, I tried hard to stay out of this, but as a second generation government employee, I have to weigh in here.  The government knew the hurricane was coming and that the levies were vulnerable.  The government knew it better than any profoundly poor person in N.O. knew it.  This was a disaster they did or should have prepared for.  It's not an earthquake or even a terrorist event.  The government knew it was coming.  The government failed...miserably.  Pathetic leadership.

Dyane