Re: [RC] News from Louisiana - VERY OT - SandyDSA

The government has always "cut funding" for decades - it is what they do - cut funding, increase taxes. Bush has his plusses and minuses, but this has been going on for decades, not just the past what, 5 years? Frankly, it is the combination of our overdone entitlement programs that have KEPT people poor. How do I know? Because we were they once - when I was small. My mom decided it was better to be poor than to "learn" to rely on someone else for support. It is - and was - wrong to teach multiple generations now that they can and should live on hand-outs. I am reminded of ranches, people, etc., who support rescuing animals - horses, dogs - yet they are borrowing feed, living in a shack with their children and in the end half starving the horses they rescued - dogs too. It seem like we have an increasingly idiotic society where common sense is not very common anymore. Yes, there should have been pre-emptive action - on the parts of ALL involved, the local government (I have never felt it was the feds' job to babysit us), the state, and from the people themselves. Heck, I coulda walked a long way in 48 hours. Guess I am a coward - I would not have stuck around - a blanket with food and water and a pair of shoes and a thumb.

That said, there are the helpless by virtue of age, illness or even species. The pets, the elderly, the babies - wow. They are at the hands of whoever has them. I wish we could grab up some of those babies, old folks and critters and stick em right here for the next 6 months. (I have a little empty nest syndrome going on anyway:) -

There really IS no truly safe place to lie - exactly the point. People need to be personally responsible for at least a modicum of self-care. It is a sad day when thousands if not millions depend in whole on the government - our tax dollars - to subsist. And this SO needs to be addressed - you are correct - there IS no really safe place to live. Life can be tenuous. So folks, what can YOU do to NOT be a victim when the next "big one" comes, whatever that might be where you live? Don't forget water and rations for your horses - they seem to be a bigger deal than people because MREs and a case of water doesn't do it:). vbg - get yourselves horses like our stallion who eats Doritos and P B & J.

So gripe and talk and vent all you want - and then write a check anyway.