Re: [RC] News from Louisiana - VERY OT - Chris Paus

A friend of mine is married to a tv cameraman, who has been down in LA all week. He brought up a good point. If hundreds of journalists can get down there to do stories and take photos, why couldnt' the rescue folks get through?

Seems to me this whole thing was a blunder from the get go. We have a leader. For better or worse, Gw was elected. The buck stops there. He should have been in cabinet meetings preparing for such a disaster instead of vacationing. He should have had regular army troops ready and waiting to be deployed.

We have navy hospital ships, air force hospital planes, army engineers who can build bridges in a few hours. We've got the manpower and know how to deal with these things! today CNN reports that Bush is sending in 7000 troops to help. Well, why weren't they there on Monday night or Tuesday morning? Better to have them on alert and ready for mobilization and not need them, than piddle around and waste nearly a week of action!

Doesn't matter if the people who stayed behind are poor or rich, black or white or Hispanic. How many people have died needlessly because of poor leadership all around. What kind of example does this set for the rest of the world. How do we look to other nations when we can't take care of our own, yet we want to tell the rest of the world how to live.

And there's another issue no one has talked about. How vulnerable are we to attack now? Where has homeland security been in all of this? Now half our military is on the other side of the world, a lot of them will be down south. That leaves a pretty big chunk of the US with no protection.

And as for gas, our local tv cameraman said it's still in the $2 range in Louisiana... so why is it skyrocketing elsewhere? I think there's  a lot of hard questions that need to be asked.

chris

Dyane Smith <sunibey@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
.  The government knew it was coming.  The government failed...miserably.  Pathetic leadership.

Dyane

I am not afraid of storms, for I am learning how to sail my ship. Louisa May Alcott

Chris Paus
Lake Region SWA  http://lakeregionswa.fws1.com