[RC] Cost to riders/AERC fees/the BoD - Laura Hayes

Yes, the Board of Directors has looked into the raising of fees to cover what could be a discrepancy in the budget this year.

Here are some facts:
    1.) the AERC has not raised membership fees in a decade while improving services to members like the wonderful EN, the yearbook, the record keeping and online services.  How many organizations can say that?
    2.) Rider fees have not gone up in many years- that is the fee that ride managers pay to the AERC per rider for record keeping, office support, EN, and ride INSURANCE among other things.  The insurance is a BIG DEAL, which as of 2004, has been provided to ride managers at no additional expense.

I recently attended my second BoD meeting as a Director at Large.

I took four days (Friday morning to Monday afternoon) out of my life when I could have been working or riding.  I boarded my two horses that needed to be fed and can't be turned out 24/7 with the others, took my two dogs to a boarding kennel, and paid the neighbor to come and feed the rest of my animals.  I drove my own car to the airport an hour away, put it in long term parking, flew half way across the country, and sat in meetings for hours and hours on end.  I am not complaining - I choose to do this job, but I can tell you for sure, that any decisions we made, or ideas we had to balance our budget or make AERC better, was debated, questioned, and agonized over by people who care dearly about the AERC.  Many committee chairs had detailed reports, long term plans and charts, and hours and hours worth of time involved to keep us abreast of every aspect of our organization.

Just a reminder that before you second guess the BoD's motives, remember that we are riders, and ride managers too.

By the way, nominations for the BoD regional directors are due.

Laura Hayes
Vine Cliff Farms
Brocton, NY
AERC# 2741