[RC] Something to think about - Julie Fuller

All my life I have had the mindset of a survivalist. I was not raised that way ... my mom never made a meal from scratch her whole life... I grew up on Hamburger Helper, Hostess, and KoolAid. And it has ALWAYS amazed me that so few people have a survival instinct. It doesn't take much effort to do a few simple things to ensure your survival. Granted, it's impossible to account for ALL things, but surely it isn't unrealistic to expect people to take care of themselves.

Please don't get me wrong here... I am NOT putting down those poor people trapped in New Orleans. I am simply pointing out there is a lesson to be learned.

Those of us here (endurance riders, on ridecamp) are lucky, I think. We, as endurance riders must think of our survival each and everytime we get on a horse and go up the trail. And we do things accordingly. Stretching those skills into day to day life isn't that hard for us. But, anyone can set aside food and water, candles, flashlights, etc for times of need. Even if it takes months to save up a decent "store" And once your "store" is in place, it's easy to maintain it.

There have been many times in my life when people have questioned me as to why I do the things I do. And my answer today is "Because of the hurricane in New Orleans" And I try hard to educate the willing as to how easy it really is to be prepared for the worst, and how satisfying it can be to "be prepared". It's been a lifelong "cause" of mine.

We had a horrible blizzard here two years ago. And Alan and I sprent a lot of time rescuing neighbors who had not taken precautions in spite of warnings. No power, no water, no food, and no feed for their horses. And even though Alan and I (and the animals) fared well, it showed me a few weaknesses in our preparations, which we are still working to correct. Life is an act of survival, and people are blissfully ignorant of that much of the time.

For those of you on the front lines of this disaster, I commend you. You will do what you can, and learn from the experience in ways I can only imagine. For the rest of us, this is a wake up call. A time to evaluate and rethink, a time to plan. Our survival may one day depend on it.

Julie