[RC] [Fwd: Diet and Behavior] - Bruce Weary

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Diet and Behavior
Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2005 16:47:03 -0700
From: Bruce Weary <bweary@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Jim Holland <lanconn@xxxxxxx>

  So, Jim. I realize that you feel strongly that diet (or the
manipulation of the diet) CAN'T under any circumstance have a positive
effect on a horse's fractious behavior. That it can only be brought
about through training or not at all.  I would suggest that is your
strongly held opinion, but requires more validation in order to be
accepted as fact. Though I'm the first to admit that anecdotes don't
prove anything,  the world of equine husbandry is full of individual's
anecdotal experiences. Everything from "My horses hooves improved after
I began feeding XYZ" to "My horse turns barrels 2 seconds faster after
his session with the equine chiropractor." This doesn't mean that
anecdotal experience isn't worth anything unless it can be absolutely
scientifically proven. Quite the contrary. It is when we see patterns in
our experiences that "prevailing opinion" forms what we think. Ideas
like " Treeless saddles are better for the horse's back" or  "Hot horses
shouldn't be allowed to drink too much" or "Alfalfa hay makes horses
hot" are all examples of  anecdotes bounced around in the horse world
that are, at best, only true in some cases, or maybe not at all.
 I would think there will be people responding to your theory with,
again, anecdotes of their experiences of improving a horse's behavior by
removing something (or adding something) to their horse's diet. I myself
experienced for the first time in 20 years of endurance my first runaway
horse at a ride this spring. My mare, whom I had been pouring the grain
to in order to keep weight on, decided about 8 miles into the ride that
she was going to have her way with me for about a mile, and there was no
stopping her. Scared my wife to death, and made me glad I always carry a
spare pair of underwear on my saddle. Sure, the new thong chafed, but
that's not my point. Shortly after that I took her off grain, and she is
much more manageable.
 Jim, if your theory were true, I think it would also imply that if a
horse's behavior can't be calmed down with dietary changes, then it also
could not be revved up in sluggish, unflappable horses with changes in
feed either. Another difficult theory to prove. All of the feed and
supplement manufacturers would like to have a word with you on that one,
I'm sure.
   Now, surely there are other methods, many of which you mentioned,
that can be explored to help change undesirable behavior in horses, but
dietary changes may offer simple, inexpensive, and effective ways that
help, also. I always, always remember never to say never.
 I would like to hear from Susan G. on this  matter. I think she's very
smart (for a girl) and could probably enlighten us further.   Bruce Weary