[RC] Magnesium for spooky horse? - Chris Martin

Diane:

Very nice post.  Just to add a few things.  I had one of those horses.  What I did was kept him busy, went fast, made him pay attention to me, if he looked at something sideways, he knew I was watching, because I let him know,  and he would just look.  Did not take long either.  After 4 years of laying on the ground looking up at him I got the message.

From: Diane Trefethen <tref@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [RC]   Magnesium for spooky horse?  Heidi or Dr. Garlinghouse?

Warning:  this is long.

I know there have been some light-hearted discussions about how our Arabs spook but
as Jennifer and Mary Ann have indicated, trying to ride a big spook can be dangerous.
  Instead of looking to a metabolic reason for the spooks, and thus a chemical cure,
stop to consider that a spook is a behavior and like any other behavior it can be
modified and often eliminated.  If spooking is a big problem with your horse, ask
yourself, "What do I do when my horse spooks?"  The answer may surprise you when you
realize that YOUR behavior could be contributing to your horse's MISBEHAVIOR.  Am I
saying that all spooks are misbehavior?  No, but when a horse ROUTINELY spooks on
most trail rides, especially at things it has seen before, then the spooking IS a
misbehavior.

Chris Martin  "it's all about the ride!"  FreeForm Treeless Saddles & HAF pads