RE: [RC] Magnesium for spooky horse? Heidi or Dr. Garlinghouse? - Jim Holland

Horses are NOTORIOUSLY inconsistent, and they have personalities, just like
people, especially women. <grin> They are like two year olds, which is why
women have greater "rapport" with horses than most men...greater empathy.
Don't you have good days and bad days? Elderly people are also like two year
olds. The older I get, the more "inconsistent" I become.  Ask Joan. :)
Horses get better at something, then they get worse, then they get better,
then they get worse, etc. That's why I like geldings....more likely to get
the same horse every day. That said, be aware that every horse is different.

Pick ANY one thing SIMPLE thing you want to teach your horse. I teach my
guys tricks to observe behavior and how fast they "catch on" to things.
Let's pick "gimme a kiss". (By the way, Magic learns tricks a LOT faster
than Sunny)

Before I continue, promise me you will NEVER teach this to a horse you
haven't taught "if you open your teeth ANY time toward me I will rip the
meat off your bones and feed you to the crows".

This is easy for a horse to grasp.  Start with a treat your horse REALLY
likes...one in each hand.  Hold the treat in your RIGHT hand next to your
right cheek and place your left hand with the treat behind you in the small
of your back.  Lean forward and say "Gimme a kiss". When he reaches his nose
toward the treat in your right hand, "kiss" him on the nose, then give him
the treat in the LEFT hand. It's the old "touch a target" thing.  Do this
FIVE times in the morning, then quit.  Come back that afternoon and do it
FIVE MORE TIMES.  Repeat this over several days. See how long it takes until
you don't need the treat in your RIGHT hand. You will find that he is VERY
INCONSISTENT for the first 4 or 5 days until it (for want of a better word)
"imprints" on his brain.  He will get better, then worse, then better,
etc....until at some point he "masters" the trick, then will be VERY
consistent. You don't even need the treat. This is VERY true of trailer
minute increments, the more CONSISTENT he will become. Repetition,
Repetition, Repetition. Consistency, Consistency, Consistency. FREQUENTLY!

It's EXACTLY the same with spooking, except harder to teach....but it DOES
work. It's a "discipline" thing and a "herd leader" thing. The most I EVER
get out of my guys is "screech to a stop, turn 90 degrees and check with me"
and it takes something REALLY unusual for that to happen. I will tolerate
"really scared" but I will NOT tolerate "looking for something to spook at".
We will be out there until he gets the message, however long that takes. He
better REALLY like "moving his feet". :)

Jim, Sun of Dimanche+, and Mahada Magic

Richard T. "Jim" Holland
Three Creeks Farm
175 Hells Hollow Drive
Blue Ridge, Ga 30513
(706) 258-2830
www.threecreeksarabians.com
Callsign KI4BEN

So Jim,

What is your solution for inconsistent behavior?  Days when your horse
ignores everything you've ever taught him for years, ignores legs, crop,
groundwork training?  Then on another day, he's falling asleep on you,
mellow, confident and sweet?  Same rider, same tack, same trail, etc.  Lol.
I'm all ears!

Pam