Re: [RC] Magnesium for spooky horse? Heidi or Dr. Garlinghouse? - Truman Prevatt

Pam DeMerchant wrote:

So Jim,

What is your solution for inconsistent behavior? Days when your horse ignores everything you've ever taught him for years, ignores legs, crop, groundwork training? Then on another day, he's falling asleep on you, mellow, confident and sweet? Same rider, same tack, same trail, etc. Lol. I'm all ears!

Pam

I'm not Jim but I will tell you about a horse I got - from my wife - because he was too spooky for her. She got tired of being a "yard dart." We tried everything on feed - including talking with the Seminole feed equine nutritionist about how to feed him. The horse was on pasture 24/7 and was given only enough feed to keep weight on him. So there was little to change.

So instead of her being a yard dart I was a yard dart. We started with some training - yo bud I'm in charge here. One day he dropped and spun and dumped me on a rock road. I bounced up within seconds and grabbed the sap sucker in the throat, drove him back and started screaming at him at the top of my voice. I didn't him him but I stripped him down like a Marine DI with my voice holding his head so he had to look at me.

His eyes got as big as dinner plates. He listens to me now. He spooks in place now and waits for me. He will have a lapse from time to time - but knows he screwed up when he does it. What he didn't know before was he screwed up. I've been riding him for 10 years now and he is a pleasure. He's a little hot headed - but so am I so I can deal with that.

As Jim says - it's training. Some are harder to train than others. But it's not what goes in their stomach - it's what goes in between their ears.

Truman

--

"The opposite of a correct statement is a false statement. The opposite of a profound truth may well be another profound truth." Niels Bohr -- Nobel Laureate, Physics